News

(11-February-2016 / Khmertimeskh)

Sex Offender Given Light Sentence after Years of Abuse The former head of the child protection NGO APLE, and later the director of the Our Home orphanage and school, was convicted yesterday and sentenced to three years in prison after sexually abusing 11 children inside Our Home between 2009 and last year.

Hang Vibol, 46, was charged with an “indecent act against a minor under fifteen years with aggravating circumstances” under article 248 of the penal code, according to Phnom Penh Municipal Court judge Kim Ratnarin.

(11-February-2016 / Phnom Penh Post)

Former APLE director gets 3 years for abuse Former orphanage director and one-time head of child protection NGO Action Pour Les Enfants (APLE) Hang Vibol was yesterday convicted of sexually abusing six children living under his care and sentenced to three years in prison, according to a Phnom Penh Municipal Court official.

Presiding judge Kim Rathnarin found Vibol, the former director of Our Home orphanage, guilty of committing indecent acts against a minor under 15 years old, the official, who declined to be named, said.

(11-February-2016 / Phnom Penh Post)

Garment workers at Weibo paid final wages Workers from the shuttered Turkish-owned Weibo factory at the Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone ended weeks of protests on February 1 after they were finally paid their last month’s salary, although security guards and drivers for the firm are still waiting for their paychecks.

“It’s finished, we paid all the workers,” a Weibo manager confirmed yesterday.

(11-February-2016 / Phnom Penh Post)

The Free Trade Union has sent another request pleading with the government to release two of its members arrested earlier this month, linking the pair to a recent spate of arrests and charges against unionists across the Kingdom.

On Tuesday, the FTU sent a letter to the Labour Ministry and the Garment Manufacturers Association in Cambodia calling for the release on bail of two FTU unionists arrested on February 2 for alleged incitement at the Cerie garment factory in Kampong Speu province.

(11-February-2016 / Phnom Penh Post)

Bribes alleged at Phnom Oral sanctuary Government rangers, paid to protect the Phnom Oral Wildlife Sanctuary, allow loggers to process and transport illegally felled timber in exchange for bribes, an NGO alleged yesterday after conducting an undercover operation in the protected forest.

The claims – which were denied by an official from the sanctuary, overseen by the Ministry of Environment – were levelled by director of the Natural Resources and Wildlife Preservation Organization (NRWPO) Chea Hean, who also alleged loggers were tipped-off prior to a recent raid on the forest, which spans Kampong Speu and Pursat provinces.

(11-February-2016 / Cambodia Daily)

Tuk-Tuk Group Says Licadho Edited Bus Driver Attack Video An association of tuk-tuk drivers on Wednesday hit back at criticism of its members for violently attacking a group protesting Capitol Tours bus drivers in Phnom Penh on Satur­day, claiming a rights group re­leased footage of the attack that failed to tell the whole story.

The attack occurred when a group of 40 fired bus drivers and a handful of supporters—who have been protesting for months—gathered outside the company’s headquarters in Prampi Makara district to demand their jobs back, claiming that they were illegally dismissed for attempting to unionize.

(11-February-2016 / Cambodia Daily)

Orphanage Head Convicted of Child Sex Abuse The Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Wednesday sentenced Hang Vibol, the former director of anti-pedophile NGO Action Pour Les Enfants (APLE), to three years in prison for abusing 11 victims un­der his care at the Phnom Penh orphanage he founded in 1999.

In the courtroom Wednesday afternoon, Presiding Judge Kim Rathnarin announced that Mr. Vibol had been found guilty of indecent assault with aggravating circumstances, committed at the Our Home orphanage in Mean­chey district.

(10-February-2016 / Phnom Penh Post)

NGO notes uptick in gov’t ‘threats’ against online posters The Cambodian Center for Human Rights released a public notice on Monday noting a “substantial increase” in the number of people being charged for making anti-government or anti-Hun Sen comments in social media.

According to CCHR, seven people have been arrested and at least 24 threatened since August for online comments they made, often directed at the ruling party, Prime Minister Hun Sen or his family.

(10-February-2016 / Phnom Penh Post)

Railway residents told to stay calm over expressway Uncertain residents who have protested the lack of information surrounding a planned elevated toll road linking central Phnom Penh and the airport were yesterday urged to remain calm as authorities work out a “solution” for those affected.

“Please all people, stay calm, continue your businesses as usual and give the government a chance to consider finding an acceptable solution for all,” a statement from the Ministry of Public Works and Transportation reads. “The plan of constructing the expressway is under study.”

(10-February-2016 / Phnom Penh Post)

Alleged attackers at Capitol protest to sue The president of a tuk-tuk and motodop drivers’ association, whose members were recorded on video brutally beating protesting bus drivers over the weekend, said he would file complaints against prominent union and civil society leaders for sparking the violence his own group was accused of instigating.

E Sophors, president of the Cambodia for Confederation Development Association, claimed yesterday that he had his own video evidence showing that innocent CCDA tuk-tuk drivers were in fact beaten up by protesters, rather than the drivers beating protesters with sticks, metal rods and hammers, as publicly available videos show.