News

(25-February-2016 / Khmertimeskh)

More Abused Brides Returning from China Two Cambodian women will return home tomorrow after spending almost two years each living in China with abusive husbands, officials said yesterday.

Cambodian consular offices in China are helping repatriate the two women as well as a migrant worker rescued from Lao, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday.

(25-February-2016 / Phnom Penh Post)

Return set for women rescued in China Two Cambodian women will be repatriated to the Kingdom tomorrow after having allegedly suffered mistreatment at the hands of their husbands in China, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced yesterday.

The Cambodian consulate in Shanghai cooperated with local authorities to rescue the women. Both had married the men in Cambodia and later moved to China to live with them, only to find themselves subjected to abuse.

(16-February-2016 / Phnom Penh Post)

Child rape sentence upheld for NGO volunteer An ex-volunteer for an anti-trafficking NGO yesterday lost his appeal bid to overturn a seven-year sentence for raping children in his care.

Sem Sam, 20, who volunteered at Agape International Ministries (AIM) in Phnom Penh’s Svay Pak commune, was found guilty of sexually abusing four boys under the age of 15 by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court in October 2014. The Appeal Court yesterday upheld the verdict.

(11-February-2016 / Khmertimeskh)

Sex Offender Given Light Sentence after Years of Abuse The former head of the child protection NGO APLE, and later the director of the Our Home orphanage and school, was convicted yesterday and sentenced to three years in prison after sexually abusing 11 children inside Our Home between 2009 and last year.

Hang Vibol, 46, was charged with an “indecent act against a minor under fifteen years with aggravating circumstances” under article 248 of the penal code, according to Phnom Penh Municipal Court judge Kim Ratnarin.

(11-February-2016 / Phnom Penh Post)

Former APLE director gets 3 years for abuse Former orphanage director and one-time head of child protection NGO Action Pour Les Enfants (APLE) Hang Vibol was yesterday convicted of sexually abusing six children living under his care and sentenced to three years in prison, according to a Phnom Penh Municipal Court official.

Presiding judge Kim Rathnarin found Vibol, the former director of Our Home orphanage, guilty of committing indecent acts against a minor under 15 years old, the official, who declined to be named, said.

(11-February-2016 / Cambodia Daily)

Orphanage Head Convicted of Child Sex Abuse The Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Wednesday sentenced Hang Vibol, the former director of anti-pedophile NGO Action Pour Les Enfants (APLE), to three years in prison for abusing 11 victims un­der his care at the Phnom Penh orphanage he founded in 1999.

In the courtroom Wednesday afternoon, Presiding Judge Kim Rathnarin announced that Mr. Vibol had been found guilty of indecent assault with aggravating circumstances, committed at the Our Home orphanage in Mean­chey district.

(28-January-2016 / Cambodia Daily)

Drama as Trial of Accused Child Abuser Delayed The trial of a German expatriate accused of sexually abusing five Cambodian boys was delayed at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Wednesday, with the judge briefly taking the bench before stating that he did not have time to preside over the scheduled hearing.

Udo Sabiniewicz, 56, his legal team, and at least two of his alleged victims showed up at the municipal court in the afternoon only for Pre­siding Judge Heng Sokna to an­nounce that he had a scheduling conflict.

(16-October-2015 / Cambodia Daily)

Teenager Arrested for Rape of Neighbor, 12, in Battambang A 14-year-old boy raped his 12-year-old neighbor on a cassava plantation in Battambang province on Wednesday after luring her away from her home, a police official said Thursday.

The teenager was arrested at his house in Sampov Loun district’s Serei Meanchey commune that afternoon and confessed to raping the girl, according to deputy district police chief Ly Rum.

“At about [noon], the girl’s mother left the house to visit her neighbor about 40 meters away and left her daughter alone,” Mr. Rum said.

“Unexpectedly, the boy arrived [at the victim’s house] and convinced the girl to visit the cassava plantation nearby,” he said. “The girl agreed to go with the suspect because he promised to give her as much money as she wanted.”

(07-October-2015 / PPP)

Septuagenarian busted over alleged child rape A 75-year-old man has been charged by the Stung Treng Provincial Court with repeatedly raping a 9-year-old girl after an alleged string of incidents that began in September.

According to Strung Treng provincial police penal bureau chief Doung Vutha, the suspect, named as Ban Puth, was arrested on Monday after the victim’s mother filed a complaint to the court.

Vutha said that the victim and her mother had no fixed address, and had reportedly been staying at the home of the suspect in Sesan district’s Kbal Romea commune.

(07-October-2015 / Cambodia Daily)

Elderly Man Charged With Rape of 9-Year-Old in Stung Treng The Stung Treng Provincial Court on Tuesday charged a 70-year-old man with raping a 9-year-old neighbor in Sesan district, after the girl told her parents of the crime despite the man’s death threats.

Ban Puth was charged with raping the young girl on a number of occasions up to September 18. He was arrested Monday and has since confessed to both police and to the court, said deputy provincial prosecutor Sun Yeth.

“The court charged the offender with raping a child. Now we are detaining him in prison,” she said.

Generously Supported by